Classic 2Stroke Yorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Based in Yorkshire, the centre of the known Universe.. But open to all. Everyone is welcome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mikuni carb gaskets

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dollydog

dollydog

mikuni carb gaskets Empty
PostSubject: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 10:59

anybody know what the original carb gaskets on mikuni's were made of? sort of plasticky stuff? i like to make my own gaskets, but having trouble finding what this material is called Embarassed
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
mcludd

mcludd

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 19:43

I think they are made out of "carburettor repair kit" well the ones I use are
HTH
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 20:50

The Black ones I think are just hardened and compressed Nitrile Rubber, whether that simply happens due to the heat and fuel I'm not sure..

The Orange ones, I'm also not sure, they look a bit Polythene-y from what I remember of em..
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 21:12

mcludd - that's cheating Very Happy
wolfie - typing polythene-y gasket stuff in google comes up with nowt. nor does plasticky/rubbery stuff. i know, i've tried it Very Happy nitrile rubber might be an idea though, if i can get it thin enough. i'll look into it. thanks Very Happy
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 21:19

Back to top Go down
mcludd

mcludd

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 21:25

According to my "rubber chemical resistance chart" - OH err,
http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-5
Nitrile rubber is resistant to petrol below 250 degrees - don't think I should want to be too close to petrol above 250 deg really
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 21:49

mcludd - me neither Very Happy
BUT, when my house caught fire and most of it destroyed internally, imagine what temperature it was inside there? in the back room was my gt750, completely rebuilt and [according to the forensic bloke] had a carb leak - the tank had about 2 gallons in it. all that room [including me kettle] got was water damage Very Happy in the kitchen cupboard was a can of lighter fuel. the red spout was completely melted, but the fuel was still in it. jeez, am i lucky or what? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy this is 100% true.
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyThu Oct 19 2017, 22:47

Bleedinell DD you don't arf live dangerously.. sorry to hear about your fire but as you say it could have been much worse by the sounds of that..

Look, with your track record, just buy some new gaskets, don't fart around making some.

Tangoman (Mark) does Mikuni gaskets. tangoman3@sky.com for the Triples guys.
Or Allens Performance or Motocarb.. take your pick.

Thumbs up

Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 10:26

0.3mm on order Very Happy
wolfie, i love making my own gaskets. head, base, clutch, carb gaskets. i have made floatbowl gaskets, but paper ones with wellseal which isn't perfect, but works. i even make the carb insulators out of tufnol, now that IS hard work. but, it's job satisfaction Very Happy
the fire had another 2 stroke twist in the tale. when i climbed out of the bedroom window onto my satellite dish bracket [2 metre dish] i fell off. if i'd fell backwards i would have landed on a huge bag of sawdust. but i fell forwards and landed on the spare gt750 frame Very Happy you gotta laugh though.
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
mcludd

mcludd

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 10:28

but i fell forwards and landed on the spare gt750 frame Very Happy you gotta laugh though.
cheers, dd.

Well I did
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 11:22

it dint arf cum keen though Crying or Very sad after bouncing off that, arse first, i flipped over and headbutted the backyard slabs. eyebutted is closer. all this while wearing a t-shirt and socks - nowt else. we ended up living at the pub for a couple of months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 12:58

Erm.. you can ride at the back of any ride outs DD.. Very Happy

fks sake be more careful.

O hang on.. living in a pub can't be too bad I suppose.
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 13:17

you've obviously never slept in the bull's head in winter Very Happy cold and noisy. you can hear the paperboy ride past on his bmx in the morning Very Happy but, bless em, the landlord and lady let us stay until we had a rental house sorted by the insurance [2 months] and ed the landlord lent me some clothes til i got sum. unfortunately he's twice as big as me and size 13 trainers don't fit well on size 9 feet Very Happy but the locals were brilliant. one brought me a bagful of t-shirts in. another a load of jeans etc. it's times like that you feel really humble and realise there are some good people in this world. and bikers are very welcome if anybody is ever down this far south Very Happy
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 18:33

Very Happy Very Happy Derbyshire isn't South.. I was in the Capital City last week on the bike.

Tango confirmed that the/his Gaskets are hard Nitrile rubber.
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 19:06

it's south of south of selby Very Happy
i've ordered the 0.3mm sheet, so see how i go on with it.
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 19:12

Let us know.. Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 21:47

Bloody hell dd, thats a right story.... was you alone in the house? or did you chuck the missus out of the window first, hoping for a softer landing yourself....

Seriously man, hope you managed to get fully sorted out after an episode like that.... must’ve been a total nigtmare.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 20 2017, 22:55

It's deffo something to tell the Grandkids.

Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptyFri Oct 27 2017, 12:43

yes, i was alone. my mrs had taken the dogs out when it lit up.i was actually asleep in bed [strong medication, due to accident]but due to my big nose, the smell woke me up and i'm still here. insurance tried to blame her indoors for dropping a fag end down the settee, but forensics bloke [another £200] said it started under the floorboards and it was old wiring. he was the bloke that told me my carb was leaking. i just grimaced and said i bet there isn't much of it left now? he said some of the best words i've ever heard: 'the fire didn't touch your bike, it's just got a bit of smoke and water damage' Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
anyway, enough of that.
this 0.3mm is too thin, BUT, it looks perfect for petrol tap vacuum diaphragms, and i've got a few that are punctured, so i'll make some of them. Very Happy
just ordered some 0.5mm for the carb floatbowl gaskets. hopefully it's thick enough.
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Nat666

Nat666

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 00:00

Yes its nice to make your own gaskets, I hate using poor quality cheap crap patten gaskets, not all are bad but I have come across a few bikes where people have clearly fitted a patten gasket thats either too thin, too thick or is just badly made
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 09:02

vesra gaskets are the absolute worst i've ever used. don't know what they're made of, but it's some close relative of blotting paper Very Happy and the ali head gaskets? waste of metal.
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 10:25

I'll be in the garage in a wee while Dolly (and there may be smoke shortly!), do you want me to measure the gasket thickness? I'll do it anyway just in case like.
Back to top Go down
dollydog

dollydog

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 11:51

i was just going to press the like button, but Very Happy
i have got a couple for patterns but they are well compressed, so yes, that would be a great help.
can't find any nitrile between 0.5mm and 1mm, so hopefully it's one of them Very Happy
cheers, dd.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 16:17

The flattened areas tend to be around .9mm and a couple of overhanging internal areas were 1.0somethingorother, So I guess that 1mm was probably the original thickness.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets EmptySun Oct 29 2017, 16:19

No smoke though Sad

Anyone know how to get the Phenolic inserts out of the carb mouths without smashing them to pieces? I might need/want to put them back sometime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mikuni carb gaskets   mikuni carb gaskets Empty

Back to top Go down

mikuni carb gaskets
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next