Classic 2Stroke Yorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Based in Yorkshire, the centre of the known Universe.. But open to all. Everyone is welcome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.

Go down 
+2
blackhat400
Wolfie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. Empty
PostSubject: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptySun Apr 01 2018, 17:29

While I'm not expecting to be thrashing the tits off her, it is noticeable that the little S1 struggles to clear 6000RPM which with the current gearing is around 75MPH.  In her youth she would easily pass that.
I wonder if I have made the gearing too tall, it is still lower than I was running in the 90s into the noughties which was definitely too tall.

There has of course been quite a substantial bit of top end work done over the last year but there feels to be little if any difference. And the last couple of rides although short (less than 10miles each) have proved that.

Back in the 80s-00s I had some short baffles fitted (cut off at mid point), during the resto I fitted whole baffles and gave away the cut short ones..  I know I know..

So.. in order to help her breathe more easily I have obtained a different Airbox cover with the inlet opened up.

(This is where my question comes from) What does the panel think to opening all the holes in the baffle tubes, ie drilling them to a larger size? Is this something that anyone has already done/ heard of someone doing/ wouldn't touch with a bargepole?

I'd especially like to hear Mr Mutts thinking on the matter. Since you'll be Dyno ing it again at some point Dave.
Back to top Go down
blackhat400

blackhat400

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Apr 11 2018, 22:03

Mates rd350 [ aircooled] was door also wolfie, we cut 100mm off the baffles and drilled the holes,, worked wonders,
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Apr 11 2018, 22:42

Interesting, I wouldn’t have expected it to make any real diffirence, especially if you’re using packing wrapped around the baffle tube.....

Have you thought about lowering the gearing back to std. I run 1 tooth less than std on the rd front sprocket so that i can use and pull 6th...... otherwise 6th is only usefull going down hill
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Apr 11 2018, 23:01

Since complete Baffles are entering the realms of myth and legend these days, I'm trying not to destroy full ones simply modify them.

Going back to standard would put 5th back to around what 4th is now, but it still wont solve the stuffy problem as she struggle to pass 6K in 4th anyway, so she'll just be going slower when it happens.

Triplers reckon that just taking out the central plates down the length of the baffle would make her breathe easier, I can live with that sort of modification so I think the baffles will be out this weekend and down to work next week.
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyThu Apr 12 2018, 13:02

I presume a nice shiny set of spannies are out of the question.... those Higspeeds look cool on a triple !!
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyThu Apr 12 2018, 19:58

Higgsys are a  possibility if someone has an el cheapo S/H set for sale but the original look has been my main aim so far..

I don't want those super critical Triple Clubbers tut-tutting and pointing their dissenting fingers.
Back to top Go down
Artie

Artie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Apr 25 2018, 20:29

Are the exhausts OK then Gra and not coked up?
There is a lad lives near Ruddy(can,t remember his name) has a stunner of a KH250 and he had the same problem turned out one of his exhausts was coked up.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Apr 25 2018, 22:07

Ive had a light down the ends as far as I could and the zorsts themselves look open enoughand they were caustic dipped clean as a whistle as rechrome time. However, I had forgotten that the LH zorst has a baffle plate come adrift and is loose inside, I'm formulating a plan to re locate it.

I also discovered that when I removed my original 'cut off' baffles and got some full length ones at Resto time two of them are for S1b with the baffle plates at a different spacing. Grrrr.

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. S1baff10

Ok, so in my stock of bits n bobs there were two cut off baffles, so I put the KH full length one into the LHS since that zorst has no middle baffle plate and the cut offs in the other two.

I daresay there is a slight improvement but it isn't the main issue. She'll still only go over 6K easily in the lower three gears.

This evening I've been and smallened the front sprocket, down from 16/41 (2.56:1) , to a standard (KH400) sprocket ratio 15/41 (2.73:1). Will have to see how she goes.

Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Jan 28 2019, 20:32

how did this end up wolfie?
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyTue Jan 29 2019, 17:00

Put on one side awaiting enough funds to hire Mr Dogsbollocks Dyno for some fettling time..
It doesn't appear to be connected with the Baffles after all, I did have some cut offs donated for a test and it only added to the noise output..

She does go though, if the weather is kind, she might be my -2 Stroke Rally steed again, only 3 and a bit weeks to go..
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyTue Jan 29 2019, 18:35

and how much is that for a session in this day and age?
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyTue Jan 29 2019, 18:53

Not sure Al,,,, if you go to the NERDOC bash you may be able to win an auction for a dyno session for the price of a few beers
Back to top Go down
wozzap

wozzap

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 08:37

I don't know anything about anything Kawasaki's but isn't that that transition point between the pilot circuit and the main jet?

In Yamaha's, the pilot circuit has an effect right though the rev range but flat or even misfiring in the five to six thousand rpm range usually points to a pilot circuit issue. Might be worth a look to see if all is clean, as in RD carbs they seem to gum up for a pass time.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 10:14

They were given the Wolfie eye, Carb cleaner and wire poking at rebuild time but not a full ultrasonic clean, I have tried the Needle up and down a bit but it doesn't make any noticeable difference (unlike the H2 where half a needle clip is noticeable).

They always ran OK in the past with standard jetting (before I knew how to fiddle sensibly) and in the olden days with the fairing on I did see 105 on the clocks just the once, but she was freely revving to over 6K.

I can't believe that I have simply been spoilt by the H2..

I think it is possibly time to do that pressure test I've been promising her, after all the Crank is now just about 40 years old and has only had the outer seals replaced in the at time.
They all both look and feel fine though.
Back to top Go down
wozzap

wozzap

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 12:15

I've usually been amazed by much crap comes out of seemingly clean carbs in ultrasonic tank, but it doesn't sound like it will be the answer
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 13:25

The trouble with ultrasonic cleaning is that the dirt needs to have a gravitational escape route once it has been loosened, i.e. if its in a gallery it wont necessarily find its way out.. the best way is to do them several times in different positions... a good blast of compressed air will also help once the shit has been loosened by the vibes..

I think this is one of the reasons that you have to drill out the brass balls from the yam mikuni's… there isnt any other escape route...
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 17:08

yeah its a tough one this because I wanted my yam to have balls but I was told to drill them out

ended up mine never had balls but I drilled it anyway.

a good way of telling which jets are blocked is ride the bike in third gear on 1/8th throttle and let it rev as high as it will
that's the pilot jet
then open throttle 1/4 and try again and that's a combination of needle and needle jet with the throttle slide cutaway also adding its sexy influence plus the pilot tips its lot in as well

then try it at 3/4 or full throttle - that's the main jets, you are trying to rev it right out past the red line and towards the dark side of the moon.
what you are looking for is the tell tale squeak that you have either bats or mice nesting in your airbox
(don't say you have pods or k&n's)

in theory you can take out your main jets and if you only open the throttle an 1/8th the carb will only draw fuel from the pilot and ignore the great big massive hole where the mj was
(not michael Jackson btw)

my first line of attack would be new or clean air filter
new plugs
check ignition timing' and check points for excessive arcing

check you aren't using old fuel that has absorbed water. to test for this drink half a pint and then set fire to your breath. make sure you have life insurance and a recent hair cut.

not revving through could be simply a sign of old age. have you recently checked the bike over for arthritis or dementia?

if you are over rich it four strokes or stutters will go as well on half throttle as it does on full. if this is the case you can do an online bank transfer to my account

ive just spent the last month fine tuning my puchs carburation and it gets hard when you are nearly there as its not easy to detect a tiny bit weak or rich and plug chops are the only way unless you have access to an af meter
you can do plug chops on part throttle half throttle and 3/4
doesn't have to be full throttle or in top gear flat out.

it might not be the carbs ignition or indeed anything wrong with the bike but your wrist

I know its a young mans game but does your wrist get enough exercise nowadays wolfie?

Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyMon Feb 11 2019, 21:12

Unfortunately I'm left handed  Al... Very Happy

I have left the Air filter hoses off on a couple of test rides and it made it slightly harder to pick up from low throttle.
That's just how it used to be when I left them off in my yoof, wanting more noise... And yep that's what I got, more noise and bugger all else.

There has been various tanks of fuel used while this problem has persisted, it's not a brand new problem but having done much engine work in the last 2 years I was surprised at the lack of gain.
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyTue Feb 12 2019, 17:39

id love to have a go an an h2
I went to buy one of a Scottish guy called neil in wakefield ex racer? imported bikes with rick brett? who had 2 x H2's and an (re5)

I ended up buying my rd350.

virtually every nut and bolt was not tightened properly

it really must be a wrist thing with H2 owners....
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyWed Feb 13 2019, 23:07

Then be prepared for an uncomfortable, barely controllable, roughest ride of yer life Al..

I think part of my H2s problem is that I want it to ride nicely.. a condition alien to most H2s.

However, I have met a few that do, and when they do it really is great.
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyThu Feb 14 2019, 16:39

we'll have to swap bikes sometime this summer if we get out.
as long as you promise not to thrash the living daylights out of my yam . . . .

ive always wanted an H2 but prices went mad around 2011

ive done my puch m50sports up over the last few years and ive just bought a Paloma moped. pick it up tomorrow. 1960's French thing. thoink only the rust is holding it together

i'm determined to get it going 60mph
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyThu Feb 14 2019, 19:16

I'm not generally one for bike swapping Al but we'll see..

She's was running particularly badly back at the end of Sept (last time out) and that was shortly after another seizure, she's recently had a piston replacement. Will see how she goes next weekend, but I'm hoping to get a little garage time this weekend in preparation.

H2 Prices have always been ridiculous, I'm still pinching myself at the measly £800 I paid in 1999, mind you it cost another £1500 to get it tidied up...

Last edited by Wolfie on Fri Feb 15 2019, 10:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyThu Feb 14 2019, 20:22

me and the lads I go with swap bikes now and then, mostly big sports four strokes

last year was out with a couple of pals plus shag on a classic old blade over in Lincolnshire with its twisty roads

I swapped with my pals ducati 916
he rode my zx9r - which he used to own a long time ago

I overtook shag going into a bend - (it was only his first outing with us and was a bit rusty) and then cranked it over expecting it to go round the bend in style but instead it was stuck at the angle of lean it wanted to go - which sent me across the road towards the opposite verge and no matter what I did (mostly panic and shit myself) the bike was not for turning

it was the most unwilling steed i'd ever sat upon
it only seemed to do what it wanted and you just had to go along with it and learn how to ride it

my dopey zx6r and zx9r's you just sit on em and bully the fook out of them and they seem only too willing to comply

mad innit

maddest experience during bike swap was with my pals zx10 and he rode my zx6r

his was fast rigid and I was scared of it
he said mine was underpowered and boring and real easy to ride
he went round a few bends enthusiastically and then was tooling along at what he though was 95 only to see the needle at 120
he couldn't believe how it insulated him from the road and just seemed to glide along

no hard suspension set ups for me.....

Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyFri Feb 15 2019, 10:05

That might be why I don't hanker for anything modern.. I don't want insulating from the experience.. Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
yam3anarthur

yam3anarthur

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. EmptyFri Feb 15 2019, 22:09

lol modern, my zx6r is 19 yrs old, the zx9r is 21 years old, the ducati is 25? years old

nearly as old as us!!!

the zx6r is my fave bike, the yam is too scary once you get over the ton the 9 has a tiny too much power for my uneducated right wrist but the 6 is ace cos you can just hammer it everywhere (apart from in first gear) and it doesn't lose grip or point to the sky.
at 3 figure speeds you need less of the boneshaker/ penny farthing experience and a bit more insulating so as to enjoy the actual experience

but I know what you mean wolfie, that's why I haven't tweaked or replaced the brakes or suspension on any of my bikes to make for a nicer ride - especially the 350 and ridden them how they were meant to be ridden.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles. Empty

Back to top Go down

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Classic 2Stroke Yorks :: In the Garage / Workshop :: Technical Questions-
Jump to: