Classic 2Stroke Yorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Based in Yorkshire, the centre of the known Universe.. But open to all. Everyone is welcome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JosephRomano

Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? Empty
PostSubject: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptyFri Jan 25 2019, 13:21

I'm looking to upgrade my battery on my 74 yamaha rd 250. But was wondering if I need a new wire harness, ignition coils, and battery box wire set up?
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptyFri Jan 25 2019, 16:44

If its just a battery change then all you need is a means to locate it. What condition is the loom? Are you going to fit electronic ignition?
Back to top Go down
JosephRomano

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptyFri Jan 25 2019, 19:55

Electric ignitions?..Like an electric start? I was going to keep it kick start. And the loom looks good
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptyFri Jan 25 2019, 23:15

Electronic ignition instead of points and condensers!! The later models had it as standard but yours will be points.. you can retro fit electronic ignition......
https://yambits.co.uk/rd250-newtronics-electronic-ignition-system-p-23722.html
Back to top Go down
JosephRomano

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptyFri Jan 25 2019, 23:40

I got this guy on there. Its an electric ignition right?Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? 20190110
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptySat Jan 26 2019, 20:10

Yep sure is.... does the bike run?
Back to top Go down
JosephRomano

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptySat Jan 26 2019, 21:18

Well currently it's in pieces. But when it was running it wasnt running well at all. It could have been because I put new pipes on it, And it needs to be rejected. The gas tank was quite rusty, and the carbs wer caked up with garbage(before I cleaned them). But as of now i tore it all appart, am about to inspect the engine, get new pistons, carbon fiber reed pedals, and electric coils.
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptySun Jan 27 2019, 17:58

My advice would be to keep fairly close to standard.... i.e. standard airbox and filter if possible, standard porting. A pair of expansion chambers and reed petals will be ok and wont cause too much trouble. But if you start changing the porting and the airbox you will be in for a difficult time trying to get it to run well..
Back to top Go down
JosephRomano

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? EmptySun Jan 27 2019, 18:09

Ok thank you for the advice! Ima use it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?   Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does new lithium battery mean I need new ignition coils?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Classic 2Stroke Yorks :: In the Garage / Workshop :: Technical Questions-
Jump to: