Based in Yorkshire, the centre of the known Universe.. But open to all. Everyone is welcome.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolfie

PostSubject: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Sun Apr 01 2018, 17:29

While I'm not expecting to be thrashing the tits off her, it is noticeable that the little S1 struggles to clear 6000RPM which with the current gearing is around 75MPH.  In her youth she would easily pass that.
I wonder if I have made the gearing too tall, it is still lower than I was running in the 90s into the noughties which was definitely too tall.

There has of course been quite a substantial bit of top end work done over the last year but there feels to be little if any difference. And the last couple of rides although short (less than 10miles each) have proved that.

Back in the 80s-00s I had some short baffles fitted (cut off at mid point), during the resto I fitted whole baffles and gave away the cut short ones..  I know I know..

So.. in order to help her breathe more easily I have obtained a different Airbox cover with the inlet opened up.

(This is where my question comes from) What does the panel think to opening all the holes in the baffle tubes, ie drilling them to a larger size? Is this something that anyone has already done/ heard of someone doing/ wouldn't touch with a bargepole?

I'd especially like to hear Mr Mutts thinking on the matter. Since you'll be Dyno ing it again at some point Dave.
Back to top Go down
blackhat400

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Wed Apr 11 2018, 22:03

Mates rd350 [ aircooled] was door also wolfie, we cut 100mm off the baffles and drilled the holes,, worked wonders,
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Wed Apr 11 2018, 22:42

Interesting, I wouldn’t have expected it to make any real diffirence, especially if you’re using packing wrapped around the baffle tube.....

Have you thought about lowering the gearing back to std. I run 1 tooth less than std on the rd front sprocket so that i can use and pull 6th...... otherwise 6th is only usefull going down hill
Back to top Go down
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Wed Apr 11 2018, 23:01

Since complete Baffles are entering the realms of myth and legend these days, I'm trying not to destroy full ones simply modify them.

Going back to standard would put 5th back to around what 4th is now, but it still wont solve the stuffy problem as she struggle to pass 6K in 4th anyway, so she'll just be going slower when it happens.

Triplers reckon that just taking out the central plates down the length of the baffle would make her breathe easier, I can live with that sort of modification so I think the baffles will be out this weekend and down to work next week.
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Thu Apr 12 2018, 13:02

I presume a nice shiny set of spannies are out of the question.... those Higspeeds look cool on a triple !!
Back to top Go down
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Thu Apr 12 2018, 19:58

Higgsys are a  possibility if someone has an el cheapo S/H set for sale but the original look has been my main aim so far..

I don't want those super critical Triple Clubbers tut-tutting and pointing their dissenting fingers.
Back to top Go down
Artie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Wed Apr 25 2018, 20:29

Are the exhausts OK then Gra and not coked up?
There is a lad lives near Ruddy(can,t remember his name) has a stunner of a KH250 and he had the same problem turned out one of his exhausts was coked up.
Back to top Go down
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   Wed Apr 25 2018, 22:07

Ive had a light down the ends as far as I could and the zorsts themselves look open enoughand they were caustic dipped clean as a whistle as rechrome time. However, I had forgotten that the LH zorst has a baffle plate come adrift and is loose inside, I'm formulating a plan to re locate it.

I also discovered that when I removed my original 'cut off' baffles and got some full length ones at Resto time two of them are for S1b with the baffle plates at a different spacing. Grrrr.

Ok, so in my stock of bits n bobs there were two cut off baffles, so I put the KH full length one into the LHS since that zorst has no middle baffle plate and the cut offs in the other two.

I daresay there is a slight improvement but it isn't the main issue. She'll still only go over 6K easily in the lower three gears.

This evening I've been and smallened the front sprocket, down from 16/41 (2.56:1) , to a standard (KH400) sprocket ratio 15/41 (2.73:1). Will have to see how she goes.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.   

Back to top Go down

Breathing, on the S1, it still feels stuffy.. a Question then? Drilling Baffles.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Classic 2Stroke Yorks :: In the Garage / Workshop :: Technical Questions-
Jump to: