Classic 2Stroke Yorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Based in Yorkshire, the centre of the known Universe.. But open to all. Everyone is welcome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. Empty
PostSubject: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyThu Oct 26 2017, 13:01

Doing some serious work to the S1 I noticed that there was a pool of oil appearing both in the Carb well and on the floor below the centre cylinder.

Triples Oil Pipes have a Non Return Valve in the Banjos, some later types were able to be dismantled, this type were thought to be un repairable. Until now!

I've got the Oil Pipes off and checked their leakage by simply hanging them up.
The left and right ones had half emptied in about 24 hrs. The centre one however, just poured out unrestricted.

Now these are the ones where there is a piece of red tube crimped onto the banjo neck by a steel collar and not the normal ones to disassemble.
Disassembly could easily break the Red tube meaning that the Oil line will need a major repair or is possibly scrap, so it's a last resort repair.

So first thing was to gently tap that steel collar back from the Banjo using a flat blade screwdriver and working around the collar with gentle taps.

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. Banjo-12

The Red Tube underneath one of them was cracked and split after 40 odd years, it had also locked onto the grooves of the Banjo neck making it very difficult to pull back (the splits helped release it though), I put the Banjo into a soft jaw vice and gripped the red tube with pliers to put some outward force on it then teased the cracks or splits over the ridges until it pulled off the neck.

Once the Banjo was separated from the pipe, a little ridge could be seen at the last 2mm of the neck and gripping this end piece allowed it to be pulled out, carefully so that the ball and spring didn't catapult out behind it.

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. Banjo214

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. Banjo215

I had to re dress the spring as the very end which is a smaller diameter to hold the ball central had caved in as can be seen in the pictures.

Putting it back was a simple reversal of the process taking care again with that red tube, I degreased it all and then added some Silicone Sealant to help seal the cracks. And lastly just tapped the collar back down very carefully while dressing the red tube where it was wanting to lift.

The outer two were in better condition and needed a small cut in the plastic to be able to release the Banjo, both springs were 12mm long I teased them out to 14mm without spraining them.

Then rebuilt every thing. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Wolfie on Thu Oct 26 2017, 14:58; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rob62
Admin
Rob62

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyThu Oct 26 2017, 13:05

Is there supposed to be some images in that post Gra? Cant see any...
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyThu Oct 26 2017, 14:52

Hmm.. yes there were when I wrote it..
Back to top Go down
Wolfie
Admin
Wolfie

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyThu Oct 26 2017, 14:57

Lets see if they stay put this time..
Back to top Go down
muttsnuts

muttsnuts

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyMon Nov 06 2017, 21:15

I can see the images, they look very similar to the NRV's/oil connectors on kettle's (Suzuki's that is, not the ones that boil water for your cuppa !!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alan H

Alan H

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. EmptyTue Nov 07 2017, 08:09

Clear nail varnish apparently works on cracked oil lines/connections too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..   Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Pipe NRVs, Maybe they can be repaired..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Classic 2Stroke Yorks :: In the Garage / Workshop :: Tips and Tricks. How to?-
Jump to: